Here are the release notes for the upcoming Alpha 15 release. We know you folks like to read them beforehand so we’re releasing it early. If you’d like to participate in testing an early experimental version, please go to our forums news and announcements to learn how.
This update has some big framework changes so starting a new game is a must. Please don’t try to salvage your old saved game. And for those of you that experience any problems please use your steam client to delete local files and reinstall the game. Also wiping your player profile data might be helpful.
For a complete list of Alpha 15 release notes read on!
Alpha 15 Official Release Notes!
Navezgane world updates
- New Distant Terrain feature renders terrain over 1 kilometer away.
- Almost 2 square kilometers of new explorable space has been unlocked
- New highly embellished height map with huge mountains in every biome
- New giant desert canyon
- Over 19 new locations have been added to Navezgane:
- 5 new unique Trader Settlements
- Grand Ostrich Hotel
- 2 new roadside hotels
- Football stadium
- Auto Parts Store
- New hidden bomb shelter
- Oil refinery
- Funeral Home
- Red Mesa Government Installation
- Indian Cliff Dwellings (Canyon)
- Canyon gift shop and scenic overlook
- 2 new bars
Random Gen Worlds 3.0
We’ve greatly improved random gen with many improvements and additions including:
- New RG Distant Terrain
- New road system that uses pathfinding for smoother transitions in height in all areas besides the hub entries.
- Terrain generation is now in rwgmixer.xml: This allows for modification of the terrain
- Biome generation is now also in rwgmixer.xml : This allows for modification of biomes
- Hubcell data is generated and saved in the game’s save dir: This allows backward compatibility and prevents RWG from regenerating the hub each time it’s called when not cached.
- Rwgmixer is saved to the game’s save dir: This ensures the same terrain generation and biome generation and prefab regardless of edits to the main file.
- All new locations spawn except for the football stadium, canyon gift shop and canyon cliff dwellings.
Journal Tip System
A new journal tip system has been added to the main in game menu signified by a pen icon. The system writes all old tips and has over 20 new conditionally based in-game tips that pop out with a right screen notification. Players can at their leisure read these tips on advanced gameplay system teaching players everything from gun assembly when finding their first gun to harvesting with the best tool after killing their first animal.
Trader and Economy System
We have added NPC traders to the game at 5 unique White River settlements signified by a White River Flag and a Traitor Joel’s sign. These Settlements and NPCs appear in both Navezgane and Random Gen Worlds. NPCs include Trader Joel, Trader Rekt, Trader Bob, Trader Hugh and Trader Jimmy. The settlements are 100% land protected, players cannot build near them and players will be teleported out when the traders are closed so they cannot be exploited as a night time safe haven. Traders announce over loudspeakers when they are open, closed and about to close. When they close they lock their gate and turn off their open sign. When they open they unlock their gate and turn on their open sign. It is wise to close the gate behind you so you don’t let the zombies follow you into a settlement.
The in-game economy uses Duke coins and players can see how many they have in the upper right corner of their backpack. Traders will restock items periodically so check back often. They also have a secret stash category signified by a safe icon which offers special items based on your level and perks. Some items can only be bought or sold in bundles. Traders are open for business between dawn and dusk. Invest in the Barter skill and Secret the Stash perk to get better deals and see better items with traders.
There are three types of vending machines: beverage vending machines found at stores, rentable trader protected vending machines found at Trader Settlements, and player owned vending machines which can only be acquired through a Trader’s Secret Stash. All vending Machines use Duke Coins which can be found in the world or acquired through selling items to Traders. You can see how much money you have in the upper right of your inventory.
NPCs can purchase from your rented vending machine so it’s wise to keep it well stocked and not mark up the items too high. If you buy your own vending machine it’s wise to put it in your land claim area as other players with effort can destroy them and steal your goods. Use these at your own risk as vending machine raiding ‘griefing’ will be possible. Note rented or player owned vending machines can be password shared if you want to let a friend use all of your vending machines functions.
Blood Moon Horde Party System
We have added a partying system that groups players together into parties of one or more players within a minimum distance. These parties will now each get their own blood moon horde.
Blood Moon Dynamic Difficulty
We have also added a Blood moon horde dynamic difficulty system. At runtime the game calculates the spawn game stage difficulty group for each party based on the criteria of number of players in the party, each player’s level in the party, each player’s current days survived ratio in the party and the hosts global difficulty setting. These things work together to output a game stage number or dynamic difficulty number for each party.
Higher game stage numbers have harder enemies F.E. Game stage 10 might only have base female and crawler zombies while game stage 20 might spawn those plus Dogs and Feral Zombies. Higher game stages will also have higher spawn limits meaning more total spawned not more alive at once to keep the games framerate consistent. New players can join the game just before the first Blood moon and only get a game stage 1 horde if they’re the only party member. The plan is to use the dynamic difficulty system for static spawned and screamer hordes in A16.
We’ve improved the farming adding fertilizer and 5 new growable crops: Yucca, Mushrooms, Red Flowers, Aloe and Hops to make Beer. The soil can be improved and depending on it’s quality, grown crops will yield a greater harvest. Trees require regular dirt to grow to full size. Growing them in a desert or snow biome is less efficient.
We’ve added a new craftable Chemistry Station where both old and new advanced chemical and compound recipes can now be crafted. While some critical recipes can still be crafted with a beaker on a campfire, crafting them in a chemistry station is faster and requires fewer resources. Advanced recipes are limited to the chemistry station.
New UMA Zombies
We’ve expanded on our general UMA system to use it to make custom zombies with unique loot, health and some with unique behaviors or abilities into the general spawning, special locations and blood moon spawning. The system is used for our NPCs like Traders too and will be used for Bandits in upcoming updates.
- Fallen Soldier Zombie (Found at Army and Government Installations. Notable loot includes firearms and military gear)
- Hazmat Male and Female Zombies (Found at Army and Government Installations. Notable loot includes hazmat gear and technical supplies)
- Zombie Biker (Found at bars. Notable loot includes biker clothing, melee weapons and minibike parts)
- Zombie Stripper (Found at bars. Notable loot includes cash and drugs)
- Utility Worker Zombie (Found at Utility and Factory locations. Notable loot includes mining helmets, metal resources, calipers and more)
- Team Z Player Football Zombie (Found at Football Stadiums. Notable loot includes football helmets, Mega Crush energy drink, drugs, treasure maps and challenge quests)
- Motivated Cheerleader Zombie (Found at Football Stadiums. Notable loot includes treasure maps and challenge quests)
- Miner Zombie (Found at Utility and Factory locations. Notable loot includes mining equipment and dynamite)
- Zombie Cowboy (Found at Old West ghost town locations. Notable loot includes cowboy gear, gun parts and complete weapons)
- Zombie Farmer (Found near Barns and crops. Notable loot includes tools crops and seeds)
- Skater Punk Zombie (Found in general spawns. Notable loot includes hoody, mechanical parts and quest notes.)
- Hungry Female Zombie (Found in general spawns. General zombie loot.)
- Walker Male Zombie (Found in general spawns. General zombie loot.)
- Risen Woman Zombie (Found in general spawns. General zombie loot.)
Experience, Progression and Skill Changes
- The most notable difference is that you now gain level XP when killing zombies and animals. It will always be possible to reach level 200.
- Weapon and armor skills will now